Raised on a livestock and row-crop farm in southeast SD. Attended a one-room school grades 1-4. Attended high school in Rock Rapids, IA. Moved back to South Dakota to attend South Dakota State University, receiving a bachelor’s and master’s degree 1970 & 1973.
Spent two years in the Army from 1970 – 1972 stationed in West Germany. Honorable discharge.
Married for 43 years with two children & 2 grandchildren. Interests include cooking, history, volunteering with Knights of Columbus and Fish and Wildlife Service
1987 – 2002 Pioneer Hi-Bred International
• Product Management: Worldwide Responsibility for Sunflower and Sorghum Product Lines
• Worldwide Supply/Demand Planning: Developed seed production plans for all Pioneer seed products except seed corn
• Business Development: Managed the development of a pre-internet service used by North American Seed for information sharing with 3000 US/Canada dealers.
1980 -1985 Northup King Company
• Marketing Manager: Opened a new divisional office in Des Moines. Coordinated all marketing functions (advertising, direct mail, market research, communications)
1974-1980 Stauffer Chemical Company
• Product Manager: Managed all aspects of four insecticides. Worldwide responsibilities
• Product Development: Coordinated field research for company products with land grant universities in the Midwest
• Sales Representative: Responsible for a sales territory within North Dakota and Minnesota
• Friends of the Terrain Therapy Garden Project, Board President – 2018 – Present
• Friends of Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge, Past Board President 2006 – Present
• Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Greater Des Moines, Board President – 1989 – 1995
• Knights of Columbus – 1981 – Present. Past Faithful Navigator and Honor Guard Commander
• Master of Science: South Dakota State University, 1972 – 1973 Major: Entomology, Minors: Plant Pathology, Mammalian Physiology
• Bachelor of Science: South Dakota State University, 1966 – 1970 Major: Entomology, Minor: Chemistry